Thursday, May 20, 2010

Sleepwear: Inappropriate Attire



Sleepwear: Inappropriate Attire



“Sleepwear is not appropriate attire for school.” It reads in Stoller’s student handbook of Stoller dress code. Is wearing pajamas truly something our school finds inappropriate? Do teachers and staff care at Stoller? Is the policy something everyone is going to stick to and follow by? We ask students and teachers if sleepwear is truly inappropriate.

What do you think of the Stoller policy on sleepwear being band? “I don’t think there should be an actual policy against us wearing pajamas” says Olivia Wheeler orange 8th student. “Not being aloud seems ridiculous, I don’t see what’s so inappropriate about it and teachers don’t seem to bother when we wear pj’s anyways. The policy doesn’t specify what is so inappropriate about it.” Says anonymous. With two student’s opinions on the policy, I go to find out the teachers perspectives, maybe that will answer the question on what is inappropriate. An anonymous teacher says, “It doesn’t bother me personally, but if students have it too low or showing too much skin, then it becomes a problem. I do see some students wearing pj’s from time to time, but if the student shows too much usually a teacher will tell them to fix it.”

“Do you think teachers care?” I ask an anonymous student and teacher. “No, maybe if it looks too low but I don’t think they care because there isn’t anything wrong.” Says an anonymous student. “The student handbook states, pants should fit securely around waist, undergarments should be covered and it can’t sag. Shirts must cover the midriff when reaching above your head. I don’t ever see this happen when students wear pj’s and I never see it distract or bother students.”

Stoller student disciplinary consequences. “Have you ever gotten in trouble for wearing pajamas?” “I haven’t really gotten in trouble, just a warning and I was told it was inappropriate.” Says Olivia. “This year I didn’t get in trouble but last year I was told to change. I don’t get how you get in trouble for this.” Says anonymous student. It seems this is an endless debate, but maybe it depends on if it bothers anyone by pajamas being inappropriate for school attire….

By Christine S.

No comments:

Post a Comment