Thursday, June 3, 2010

Jeans: A fashion must!

Trendy brands and why they're in style.
Jeans. You could call them a staple item of the fashion world. Even experts from Glamour magazine say, “A pair of jeans can make an entire outfit. They’re a must have for any wardrobe.” Which probably explains the endless amount of different styles, colors, designs and most importantly: brands. I started to wonder what brand was most popular among the young people of Stoller Middle School. I asked various girls at our school which brand of jeans they buy the most and why they like it the best. Surprisingly, I didn’t get the same answer from any one girl. Jaime N. says “My favorite jeans have to be Rock & Republic’s,  purely because of their length. Almost all of the stores I shop at don’t have long enough jeans for my height. Plus the design on the butt pockets is very cute!” One anonymous source told me “My jean preference would have to be Levi’s. They’re cheap, affordable and they look good.” Another anonymous source claims, “I like True Religion’s the most because they are cute and comfortable.” Myranda T. says, “I love American Eagle’s jeans because they’re comfortable.” Maggie M. confides, “I prefer Abercrombie jeans because they’re cute and they fit just right!” Esther K. however, says, “I don’t really have a preference but I do have a few qualities that I think are important when buying jeans. I don’t like too many rips or tears in my jeans, I don’t want too much flare in the leg and I want my jeans to be of good quality.” Claudia J. doesn’t have a specific favorite either but says, “There are some pros and cons to different brands. Forever 21 jeans are attractive, but the color fades quickly and the waist is very low cut. True Religion jeans are also pretty although, I just don’t feel like they fit well enough. Diesel jeans are the best quality by far!” It actually shocked me to see the different reasoning’s behind the varied jean selections. It also stunned me that more than once comfort was the deciding factor of the jeans these girls claimed as their favorite. I went further in to research to find if the price altered their decision to buy the jeans or define them as their favorite. Of the many jeans listed, the prices were anywhere from $40 - $300! This made me realize that price definitely impacted how these girls decided on what they like in a jean, but it might not be the most important aspect. So I looked at the different fabrics each jean was made out of. All of the jeans were made out of cotton, polyester and spandex. I found that cotton is used because the soft, fluffy material is comfortable and keeps heat from escaping and makes the wearer warmer. Spandex is generally used because it is lightweight, stretchy and very comfortable. And finally polyester is used because it is very strong, durable and can be easily watched or dried. I discovered that fabric can determine why a girl chooses to like a certain brand but another important factor could be style or design. For example, stitching color, butt pocket design, button design on many others. I noticed when I took a closer look at all the different trends and patterns in each jean and found that all of them were unique. True Religion has a horseshoe shape stitched in the butt pockets; Rock & Republic has mirrored R’s. American Eagle stitches their jeans in gold but Levi stitches predominately with black. Abercrombie stitches a moose in to all of their jeans. There are many signature techniques that make each pair unique and attractive! I think that this is the key factor that explains why girls buy the varied brands that they do. It all comes down to opinion and different taste.
By: Magen M.

No comments:

Post a Comment