Thursday, May 20, 2010

The Student Dress Code

Students are not following the dress code, especially teen girls.


Nike Shorts
(http://www.hiisports.com/images/sports_06_running.jpg)
“Shorts and skirts should be long enough to adequately cover you, not be a distraction to others or inhibit your ability to participate in all learning activities.” (Page 24 – Stoller Middle School Handbook & Beaverton Schools Discipline Handbook 2009/ 2010) This is one piece of the code that most teenage girls don’t follow. Shorts are allowed during physical activities in P.E., but aren’t allowed for the rest of the day during regular core classes. When you walk into any hall whether it maybe blue, red, green, or orange, you will see a large amount of teenage girls walking around in Nike brand shorts, also known as the ‘short’ shorts. Other fads include sagging pants, pajama pants, hats, and spaghetti straps. Since the Blue eighth grade teachers recently conducted a meeting on their behavior, I interviewed them, Mrs. Davis, Ms. Hauth, and Ms. Owens about the dress code and why they conducted the meeting. The teachers’ views were similar but they differed as well. Some of what I heard was obviously expected, and the other part of what I heard put me in a state of awe, but overall, everything went great.

I first interviewed Mrs. Davis, blue hall’s eighth grade science teacher. She started off by saying that it was normal, and every school has them. We began talking about girls and their shorts. Mrs. Davis said that the shorts were just a bit “too” short. Then she continued talking by saying how sagging pants are just funny, but they’re the style now. She went on by saying “I had no wonder why boys would do that, but, you better pull up your pants!” Next, we talked about spaghetti straps. She said that they are a bit disruptive in class. “Boys are like, squirrel! Except with skin… And other boys just don’t want to see it.” Sleepwear was our next topic. Mrs. Davis apparently is not a fan of it. “Sleepwear is not ok. If you want to wear your pajamas, then go to sleep, don’t come to school!” I found this acceptable, yet quite amusing. We ended by talking about why the blue meeting was conducted. She said it was just a reminder because it’s supposed to be getting warmer. So far, everything sounded normal, a bit amusing, but regular for any teacher until I interviewed Ms. Hauth.

“The rules are fantastic! More people should enforce it.” she said seriously with a little bit of humor in her voice. “Nike shorts are ok for gym, but aren’t ok for core classes and other specialties.” I agree with her on that. She continued by talking about how baggy pants are not classy and people shouldn’t wear them to school. That was ok, but what she said next was surprising. “Pajama pants are alright, but they have to cover you.” When I heard this, I was shocked. This would be the last thing I would have expected to hear from a teacher after what I had heard that day. But, she said it. She proceeded by saying, “People should get marked down if they break the rules, and after three times, they should get a referral, just like if they break any other important rule.” I was in awe, but I suspect that I didn’t show it. We finished the conversation by talking about the blue hall meeting which was different from what Mrs. Davis had said, but it wasn’t surprising from how the conversation went. “The main reason for the meeting was that people were dressing inappropriately, and since the meeting, there have been a major deduction in ‘short’ shorts.” The way she said this made me laugh a little, but it was straightforward. When I interviewed Ms. Owens the next day, I didn’t have any expectations, fearing what I may hear, but it went very well. Mrs. Owens perceptions were a bit of a mix of Mrs. Davis’ and Ms. Hauth’s, nut when I think back; it was what I was basically expecting to hear all along.

“I like that there is a dress code. It’s simple, and it works, but it’s unevenly addressed.” Ms. Owens said calmly when I asked her about her thoughts. She continued by talking about how girls ‘short’ shorts are the fashion, unlike ‘long’ shorts, and the staff aren’t enforcing the rules. When I had asked her about baggy pants, she laughed and said. “The fad should be over by now; it’s been here for over 15 years!” I agree with her on that part. Pajama bottoms were the next topic. Ms. Owens didn’t have much to say, but she did say that it was silly, and it isn’t appropriate to wear to school. Like the other interviews, we also finished her interview talking about why the blue meeting was conducted. Ms. Owens’ perspective with this was more similar to Mrs. Davis’ than it was to Ms. Hauth’s on this topic. “With spring, it gets hotter, and we wanted to make sure that you guys met our expectations… that we are on the same page.” This I felt was a good explanation, a truthful one and clear one. Once I gathered all this information, it was a lot easier for me to draw a conclusion.

From what I had heard, opinions were mixed, which is always is good thing because it gets your brain juices flowing. I believe I came up with a pretty good resolution to our little crisis. Nike or other brands ‘short’ shorts aren’t ok to wear to core classes, but are fine for gym unless they are longer than your fingertips when your arms are at rest by your side. Baggy pants are alright, but should be gone soon. Fifteen years is a long time, and I bet some new trend will come out right around the corner. Pajama bottoms should be fine, they’re comfortable, and as long as they cover you up, should be good to stay even though they are against the rules at the moment. Hats actually shouldn’t be worn inside a building for safety reasons, so we should get rid of that too, but we can keep them in the S – Cubes during the day. Spaghetti straps should be worn with layers, or a tank top under it. These rules are fair, and I think should be exchanged for the current ones that are related to these items, but yet again, this decision is up to the board of administrators to decide. Anyways, “All’s well that ends well.” ~ Shakespeare

By: Karen D'Souza

No comments:

Post a Comment