Monday, May 24, 2010

Teens and Electronics



Teens and Electronics
Are teens using a certain electronic more than the other?
By: Alex Costelow

Teens have become too dependent on their electronics. The five top main electronics used by teens are cell phones, Ipods, computers, video games, and the television. Every one of those things involves advertisements. Teens are exposed to the media way too much and have learned to ignore.
One 14-year-old girl said, “I use my cell phone and my Ipod in the morning for about 30 minutes before school, and then after school while I am on the bus.” Another 14-year-old boy said, “As soon as I get home I am always using electronics. Usually it starts with the television while I am texting, then I go upstairs to go on the computer, and then when I get tired or when I’m laying in bed I listen to music on my Ipod.”
The last quote that I came upon while I was interviewing people was when my 16-year-old neighbor that told me when he is out playing basketball he listens to the radio the whole time. He is out playing basketball before school, and all after school. Him and I both came to the conclusion of about 4 hours a day of listening to the radio while playing basketball. But then again, that is only the radio. However, the media he is exposed to is verbal and not visual does not mean that he is exposed to less. There are a lot of advertisements on the radio. After every song there is usually a commercial with plenty of convincing advertisements.
He also uses his computer and his cell phone. I think that some kids are actually being exposed to media too young in life and so that when the child is older he/she doesn’t care about how much media can impact a child sometimes and doesn’t stop to think about it. Media is in an average teens life all the time. All-day, everyday. In some places you don’t even think you are being exposed to it.



Cell Phones = #1most exposed electronics to teenagers.

No comments:

Post a Comment